By Kevin Miller
Growing up I absolutely hated to read. It was something I never liked; this lasted until I started Bible college and I basically made myself enjoy it. The small discipline that I endured fostered a love for reading that continues to grow.
I am not a guy who enjoys picking up a fictional thriller during my lunch break, but I do enjoy reading about people who are passionate about changing the world. I also enjoy finishing a book and being challenged to do something great. That said, I want to share five books that have greatly impacted my life and shaped me into who I am today.
1. The Bible. You probably guessed this would be here, right? I don’t think it needs an explanation.
2. Heavenly Man, by Brother Yun and Paul Hattaway. This book challenged me to take my personal relationship with God to another level. It also gave me a new perspective on missions.
3. When Heaven Invades Earth, by Bill Johnson. This book takes a key element of the Lord’s prayer and breaks it down for you. “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” It’s powerful!
4. Sun Stand Still, by Steven Furtick. This book dares you to be audacious in your prayers to God. It challenges you to dream way bigger.
5. Start Something that Matters, by Blake Mycoskie. This doesn’t fall into the “Christian” book category, but it’s the story of the guy who started Tom’s Shoes. It is amazing to see what happens when you put a cause to your organization or life model, and that is exactly what this book teaches. Great read!
If you had to pick only one of these to read, I would definitely tell you to pick the top one, the Bible, it’s a pretty good one! If you get a chance to check out any of the others or if you have read them already, I would love to know you thoughts.
What books or authors have made an impact on your life? Please share in the comments.